NICE Core Specifications
The core of the NICE specification is made up of the following 6 sections which describe key interfaces in the system and 2 sections which describe the APIs for Devices, Apps and Services in the system.
The documents for key interfaces are the following:
- NICE Data Pipeline Specification describes how a Data Pipeline is constructed and managed. The Data Pipeline is a workflow for generating data from sensors and analyzing that data. This section describes the API that is available to an App or Service to read out the capabilities of a Nodes, configure them to generate data and the format for the data created by the Data Pipeline.
- NICE Network Protocol Specification describes the network protocols used in the NICE system and the messaging protocols defined by the NICE specification. These protocols are used to carry NICE defined data between entities within the NICE system.
- NICE Privacy and Security Specification describes a high-level threat model for the NICE system, the roles that exist in the NICE system, Privacy Management system that is used to protect user data, Secure Time management, basic encryption and authentication methods.
- NICE Authentication Specification describes the Security Life Cycles for the Device and App, the usage of Access Tokens for access control and the establishment of a Control Session to enable an App to control Nodes within a Device.
- NICE Date Time Format describes the date time format utilized commonly in the NICE System.
- NICE Identifier Structure describes the rule for identifiers utilized in the NICE System.
The documents for APIs are the following:
- The NICE Device Specification describes the APIs that are implemented on a Device.
- The NICE App/Service Specification describes the APIs that an App can use to set up Control Sessions with Devices as well as the security management for Apps. Once the App has established a Control Session it can use the APIs defined in the Data Pipeline Specification to manage the Nodes that make up the Data Pipeline.
Where to Start
- For someone wanting to first get an overview of the NICE system, the best place to start is the Data Pipeline Specification. This provides an overview of the core functionality of the NICE system.
- For someone looking to understand the overall security of the NICE system, the Privacy and Security and the Authentication Specifications are important documents.
- For someone looking to develop devices, the Device Specification provides an overview of how the Device fits into the overall architecture and how the Device is used.
- For someone looking to develop an App, the App/Service Specification is an important document.